Sunday, September 29, 2013

Petrol Pump Swindlers

Had an experience at the Deshmukh petrol pump on Satara Road the other day, which I wanted to share, and caution you about..

I had got some 300 worth of diesel filled, when the attendant said the lights had gone out, and the pump had got locked, and it would restart automatically in a few seconds. The display on the machine had frozen at 300. Meanwhile, another attendant chatted up with me about my credit card "type", which I found strange, because almost never in my life has someone bothered to ask me that!

A few seconds later, the diesel started flowing again, and I was quick to notice that the meter had continued from 300.

When the tank was full, instead of the 3100 on the reading, the attendant charged 3400.. and insisted it was because of the earlier 300, which had been reset when the lights came on.

I had no proof, so I decided to let it go, and paid up and left.

But my conscience wouldn't allow me to be made a fool, and I came back, parked and asked for the manager. The attendant's reaction to that convinced me I was right.

A quick chat with the manager got me back the money (and he even offered to make up for it by giving me another 200 extra worth of diesel)... and I benefited from my experience, which, hopefully, will help you too.

In short,

Be wary of pump attendants who act pally, and chat up, especially those who ask silly and unrelated questions which can divert your attention. It is a warning that something fishy is going on.

2 comments:

Mandar Behere said...

That's pretty common at couple of petrol pumps in the city. I refuse to indulge in any conversation without taking my eyes away from the meter. Better yet, use Shell, slightly costly, but very good staff!!

Unknown said...

Exactly same incident happened with me a year back at Pirangut BP petrol pump. Had an argument but due to lack of proof had to give up :(