Sunday, September 09, 2012

Movie Review: Trishna

Trishna captures the relationship between Jay, the UK-returned son of a hotelier, and Trishna, a poor girl working at the hotel, as they struggle to overcome boundaries of class and social standing, the sexual tension between them the underlying theme of the movie.

If you are an art-movie lover, you might dig this. Or if you wanna see Frieda in one of her uninhabited performances.

What struck me was the stereotyping, the Slumdog-like playing to the Western galleries - the unnecessary "atmosphere-creating" shots of slums and poverty in Mumbai. Is it really needed?


4 comments:

Rakesh Balakia said...

Was reading your blog first time.
This slumdog statement coming from someone who just stayed at a Mariott? Ha! Sorry but bit of double standards right bro? Ignoring our wonderful Indian chain of hotels, even 7star Indian hotels and staying at an already-rich western chain hotel. I never got the logic behind it, why my fellow Indian brothers do that. To get a free night stay, obviously you my bro have been conned earlier into patronising them a lot. Why else free.
-Rakesh, Mumbai.

Siddhesh said...

Really? Just because I am wondering why British directors show slum shots in their "Indian" movies, I am not allowed to stay at the Mariott? I guess by that logic, I shouldn't have a Ford Endeavour, or use a Sony cam, or a Samsung TV, or even enjoy a Hagen Daaz?

I love the food and service at the Mariott, I don't need to be conned into eating or staying there. Just as we also equally enjoy the misal pav at a tapari, or the Chinese cuisine at the Mumbai Taj!

Siddhesh said...

And by the logic, I guess Americans shouldn't be outsourcing work to us here in India...

Unknown said...

And we should'nt be wearing trousers & shirts, if not further deep, but stick to Dhoti's :D