Sunday, September 30, 2012

Aspirations

When I reach home after work, I usually have two cats waiting for me. Katrina, who stays with us, is a spoilt brat, and needs to be cajoled and convinced to come back home, and Chocobar (who happens to be Katrina's daughter), who stays in the society parking, and eagerly comes to receive me, hopeful of getting something to eat. While Katrina is overfed and consequently, very picky with her food, Chocobar simply gulps down anything I give her, and since she misses my car many-a-times due to my irregular timings, she probably gets a mouthful just once in 2-3 days.

She is prettier than Katrina, and probably just as smart, if not smarter.

Sometimes I wonder, does she get jealous of Katrina? Does she aspire to take her place, being able to refuse good food, being able to push off others from the cushy sofa, or have first choice of where to sleep on the bed?

Maybe yes. Mostly no.

See, I don't think cats really have aspirations. They live on a day to day basis, enjoying whatever comes their way.

But with humans. it's so different. Humans think. Humans aspire. Humans get jealous. And many times, just like Chocobar, they have to beg for food, they have to depend on others to survive. While they watch wanton waste and lavish lifestyles from others who may not deserve it any more than they do!

Especially when the question is one of opportunity, or lack thereof. When, as a bright kid, you still have to let go of an opportunity to learn and grow, because you need to work to make ends meet for your family and yourself.

Sometimes, when I hear people (including myself) talk about wanting to buy the next big SUV, wanting to be CEO, wanting that luxury pad on the beach... I think of others who work to make ends meet. People we don't care to throw a second look at. Don't they aspire? How do they cope up knowing they can never get what they aspire? Unless they take the path of crime and dishonesty.

Sometimes I think, it's better to be a cat.

No comments: