Thursday, August 09, 2012

The Narsimha Rao Strategy For Bricked Mobiles

A week or so back, I plugged in my HTC HD7 Win 7.5 mobile (which had run out of juice overnight) for charging, and poof, I got a BIOS info screen (4 bands of different colors with some information on them), and that was it. It refused to move forward. Tried taking out the SIM, googled and tried booting with different combinations of keys pressed.. zilch. It refused to budge.

Finally, I took the advice of my fellow netizens with similar problems and a lot more ideas, and gave up.

Fast forward a week later. I remembered my poor old bricked phone, and decided to give it a try. I pressed the on button, and it went into the initial white screen for a few seconds, and then, just as I was about to give up, it booted to life! Yes, it wiped out all my data, and my watsapp.. and do you know, it's no longer on the marketplace :(.. but hey, at least I got my phone back! (And due to the wonderful integration with Outlook and Exchange, none of my contacts were lost)

Morale of the story: When things don't work, give it the Narsimha Rao treatment. Do nothing. It will sort itself out.

Now, I have the tiny matter of my bricked external hard drive. Just got to wait a week or so!

No comments: