Thursday, August 02, 2012

Serial Blasts In Pune

For once, this is one headline on my blog that is very far from what it sounds like.

Around 730 to 815 pm today, there were 4 very low intensity blasts in Pune. More like fire crackers, really. Two more were defused by the police. All in a radius of less than 500 meters.

I was in Bangalore, waiting to board a flight back to Pune, when I got the news from a friend in Pune. When my daughter checked on TV, she was relieved to report that it was not serious. No casualties, just one injured.

On reaching Pune, I asked my cab driver to take a detour, so we could check it out. Surprisingly,traffic was fully restored, and except for the presense of police and minor barricades around the blast spots, there was no visible damage. I have seen Dada bombs at Diwali cause a lot more damage. I am serious. Huge sigh of relief.

Of course, there were the usual suspects - the TV channels - reporting live about the "shocked people of Pune running helter skelter to save their lives".

One just hopes this wasn't a dry run for something more sinister. Most likely, it was some disgruntled elements playing mischief. The NIA teams, NSG, and of course, the Pune police, are working hard to unravel the plot, and I am sure they will crack it soon.




No comments: