Sunday, June 03, 2012

Vishy Anand

Watching a press conference by Vishy Anand, where he is explaining the positions, strategy and thinking behind all the moves and games in his successful defence of the world chess title. Even though I play chess and consider myself intelligent, I have to admit that while I could understand his English, I had no freaking clue what he was really talking about! When we played chess, we looked at the chess board, and managed to think 1-2 moves ahead - and here he was, talking about what board positions would be available for the opposition 6-7 moves ahead! Truly mind-boggling. At one point he mentioned how the computers thought a particular move was good, while he disagreed, and how he would talk to them later and make them understand.

Imagine if our politicians, bureacrats, engineers, doctors, lawyers could think this way.. plan/look ahead, evaluate options...

Makes me also think - would Anand have a more rewarding life if he applied his mind to more than chess, and help the country in other ways?

No comments: