Sunday, December 05, 2010

Break From History

I think it's time India stopped teaching its kids about our freedom struggle, especially failed mini-revolutions from places like Chittagong, which only remind us how we were slaves under the British for so long, and instead instill pride and a sense of power by focussing on more recent history - like Kargil. I want my daughter to grow up feeling like a queen, part of a powerful civilization that is ready to rule the world, and not be continuously reminded about our not so glorious (and very long) past as a poor, torn country unable to stand up to a handful of goras. No, I do not want her to go to Kasab and say, you killed my brothers and sisters, that's ok, we will peacefully protest while you kill again. No, I want her to go slap him, and tell him, enough is enough, we will fight to protect our happiness and our freedom, so don't push me, because if you do that, I will over run you and destroy you. I want my kid to grow up being proud of how our security forces fought terror for 3 days and nights in downtown Mumbai, ensuring not a single bastard got away. Teach them about our nuclear subs and power plants, our IT prowess, the names and lives of all those Indians that have made America what it is today, teach them about how we're fighting climate change.

Once and for all, let's forget those chapters from the past, and write a new history for our kids. Please.

5 comments:

Akshar said...

Its difficult to have a good future unless we understand our history first including the bitter episodes.

Whitewashing history will only repeat it.

Meghana. said...

I believe we can truly appreciate what we have today, only if can have atleast-a-very-basic knowledge of what didn't have, then. We can't pretend a bitter part of our history didn't happen, because...well, it did. Remember that people like me who travel out of India are faced with people who know quite a lot about India's history. Debates happen. And if I didn't know what they were talking about, when they went through the story, and that too, just because history lessons did not teach me what I should have known, if my history lessons skipped over the bitter parts, then how embarassing would that be, for me? Assuming Sanam will someday travel all over the world for business or pleasure, even if she doesn't live abroad for good, I feel she should be armed with the history of India, as well as be educated about current state of the country, of portraying India as a strong, independent proud nation today which it is. You can skip history from chapters but that won't change the fact that people all over the world know what happened. Armed with facts of what happened, bitter or not, I am personally happy with what my history lessons taught me. Added information about current events is very important, I agree. Also, I feel (and this is just my narrow, personal opinion) it is a sign of disrespect to the selfless freedom fighters involved, to pretend the bitter parts of history didn't happen.
Basic knowledge about the bitter episodes is important, not letting that knowledge get you down is the key.

Siddhesh said...

Yes, but how long? It's been 60 years. Today's children need to know the mistakes of Kargil, and the victories there on!

Ray said...

Do not completely agree with you Siddhesh. But I guess it is high time the curriculum moved on and became a little more oriented towards present strengths and challenges while dedicating a small concise portion to our freedom struggle.

The powers that be should definitely start including the mistakes of Mumbai 92, Kargil and highlight how the country emerged stronger and better.

Siddhesh said...

Actually, yes, we do need to learn from history... my point was, it's also more important to move on. This is a changed world, a changed neighbourhood, and a changed India.