Sunday, October 03, 2010

Playstation 3

Got a sexy new Playstation 3 yesterday. I'm not much of a gamer, but I'm looking at games as part of my job (I am not kidding!) and thought it was only fair that I get some "domain experience".

For the uninitiated, the PS3 is actually a pretty sexy graphics computer with 250 GB disk (while the disk always needs to be inserted in the PS3 to play the game, having it on the hard disk allows you to play it better and helps you save the game state), USB ports, AV and HD outputs, and a BluRay cum DVD player (yes, so you can ditch your DVD player, and simply use the PS3 as your entertainment hub). The PS3 also connects to the Internet through your Ethernet or wireless router, thus allowing you to browse and surf on your TV.  In addition, you get the Game Pad device, with a bunch of buttons and sticks on it for interacting with the game, and which works in wireless mode in addition to connecting to the main console through USB when needed for charging. Interestingly, the game pad can also provide some great feedback like jerks and vibrations, when, for example, you drive your cars over rough terrain! I also got the very cool Sensor Camera and Motion Controller combo, which lets you interact with the game through hand movements - imagine micmicking tennis shots and getting your avataar in the game play the same.

We were out till late night last night, so it was almost 3.00 am by the time I got it hooked up. Must say, the setup was a breeze.

I also got a bunch of games (each game comes in a BluRay disk, costs anything between 1500 to 3500) in addition to the free God of War I got along with the PS3 - and have already started feeling withdrawal pangs
the moment I switch it off.

The entire package, along with the games, and an extra game pad, with extended warranty by Croma, cost me 33K.

2 comments:

Harsha Kumar said...

It's raining "games".. Lol :D

Unknown said...

Wow! Congrats on your new console! :)

Games...I love them... :D