Monday, April 12, 2010

Skoda Laura

Awesome drive, safe and secure cabin, decent interiors, great looks, the AT version with the manual overdrive at the gentle touch of the hand is great... but makes it almost impossible to squeal tires or throw the car into a skidding turn... for someone who's driven a Ford for a decade, this is pretty much a dampener :(

Also, magazine reviews talk of poor AC, poor suspension and terrible after sales service. For a car this expensive, that's a major negative too.

On the lighter side, here's a wonderful review I found of the Laura on one of the online review sites:
Car Very Good. I buying Car 2yrs Back then driving all time. Slow speed very good. Full Speed Very good. All the time i like the car. Full speed raining no problem. Light like tube light i full see in night. Light automatically on in night. I bug fridge in the car for Rs.20000 now i drink cool moor in car itself. My wife no driving this car because i like the car very much and my wife spoils while driving. i say u buying this car very good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:( Am a big fan of Skoda (though i dont own one yet!), so nt very happy to read this review...

Akshar said...

The inference: Skoda toh koi altu faltu le sakata hai.

Looking at the languages used by reviewer, Skoda certainly cant be a status symbol. I am surprised the guy has not mentioned the things he got free with the car such as a key chain.

Siddhesh said...

Akshar, the guy probably doesn't know English well enough - shouldn't really hold against him :)

Unknown said...

Crisp review..
I also like the guys review :)
Purchasing Skoda has changed his life, for now he is learning to write English. The review just shows how much he loves his car ( and not ready to share it with his wife as well :P) :)

I am a fan of Skoda myself, though a lower end & old model, I like Octavia for its sturdy looks and power on wheels!

How about VW Jetta & Passot, they come in the same price range I believe, would love to read your reviews if you happen to give it a test ride...

Akshar said...

Yeah, I am just kidding. When I read my posts written a couple of years back (and sometimes even now) I LOLROF.

Hoping to see a review from you about Volkswagen. I love tat brand because it's logo resembles Wordpress.

Siddhesh said...

VW Jetta and Passat come across to me as average looking and average performing... and terribly expensive to maintain. I believe Passat also runs the same engine as the Laura...

Was not planning to test drive them, but I think I will do it in Goa.. I know the dealer well :)

Harsha Kumar said...

When I sat in a Laura the first time, I absolutely loved the feel. Very luxurious and HS! But when I found out about the price, I was disappointed. Didnt feel like value for money.
As you rightly pointed out, it is not the type of car that will squeal tyres and basically be your toy. I think of SKODA as the brand you would use when transitioning from a person who loves driving to person who wants to hire a driver.
When it comes to Sedans, these days I'm in love with the Cruze (BMWs and AUDIs discounted only by the tag they carry :)) Based on my first impression, Cruze looks like a driver's car! Ford honestly, doesnt have a very good history. Too many bad parts, especially when the first versions of IKON and FIESTAs came out. But FORD has done a good job in improving its service and providing low cost parts, making the brand more affordable. So, thumbs up for FORD! Once you have the parts right, the cars do seem like they would be to fun drive!