Sunday, July 12, 2009

Collections

Every kid I know has had some kind of collection or the other... I had many of my own too... although most of it is now lost or "archived" somewhere in Nerul...

Greeting cards, of course. And the usual stamps and old coins. The coins got a mjor boost when we sifted through the soil to make a lawn at home... and out came dozens of really old coins! The stamp collection, every kid's favourite, was fun too, until my dad went ahead and bought me a huge collection from a collector in Mapuca... from then on, I lost interest - I had just so many, collecting more didnt matter any more :)

I also have an amazing collection of match boxes - literally hundreds of them. While all my childhood in Goa I knew only Chavi and Ship, one trip to South India exposed me to the hundreds of brands available there, and that's where the craze began. I had all sorts, including giant ones, rub-any wheres, plastic cases, wax matches and so on...

And then I had the unique collection of "beach sands", collected from different beaches in Goa, and some from rest of India. It's amazing how the sand varies from beach to beach... the texture, the color, the grains... and one day, it was attacked by a gang of cockroaches and in exasperation, I threw it all away :(

Then comes the photographs - cuttings from magazines and newspapers of cricketers, tennis players and footballers. Old and new, black and white and colored. I used to go simply crazy looking at all the sports magazines with those glossy cricket pics...

And oh, I have this big bunch of phone booth receipts from every call I made to Madhavi when I was at IIT Mumbai, and then the 3-4 months in Pune before our marriage.

Now, it's books. Hundreds of them. And blue shot glasses - one from each city I have been to in the US and Europe. And refrigerator magnets. I do keep all the bills for telephone, electricity, cell phone, credit cards and so on... for the past ten years and more... and I don't really need to keep them, so I guess it's more of a hobby than anything else!

And my diary... a daily record of my life since 1987 :) Yes, every single day. Would make amazing material for my biography after I am dead...

I'd love to collect cars, and holiday homes, and some stuff like that now... all I need is a little more money :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes Greeting Cards ! Do you still have them ? And what about the "Memory Book" & "Autograph Book" ?? As far as your Diary is concerned, please mark it for me in your will so that I can access it if at all I live longer than you :)

Ray said...

Wow, that is a handy collection my friend. I think the match box is truly unique. And going by the electricity,telephone etc bill archives, it looks like you could sue someone for hoodwinking you decades ago.

As a small kid I used to collect currencies of all countries, which was pretty much useless as the only ones I had was communist rubbish. Nowadays the only thing I am collecting is dust and cobwebs as the sands of time blow over my lazy life. Damn , thoda zyada serious ho gaya.

Keep em' coming. Good luck to you in your ambition to collect more cars and homes. My next target I think is cattle , settling down with a tabela in rural Gujarat would be in my top ten list. lol