Sunday, December 09, 2007

Third Test - Dada Rocks

Yet another match, yet another test for the Maharaja of cricket, and yet another time, he rises to the occasion magnificently!


Down in the dumps at 60/4 on the first day of the 3rd test in Bengalore, India were with their backs to the wall. That was before Yuvi joined Dada, the two left-handers taking the Pak attack head on, hammering contrasting and beautiful centuries and putting on 300 runs for the 5th wicket, the test firmly back in their grasp. While Dada was sublime and deft in his offside play, relying on his timing, placement and loads of experience, Yuvraj was youthfully aggressive and played some beautiful shots that had 4 written on them the moment the ball touched his blade.


And when he crossed his 100, Dada hugged him tight, a touch longer than would be expected - and it was a scene that truly warmed hearts - the master hugging his disciple. And as Yuvraj said later, it meant a lot to him that Dada, the one person who had backed and encouraged him all along, was there when he got his landmark.

India ended the day at 365/5, Yuvraj losing his wicket at the fag end of the day. At the time of writing this, towadrs lunch time on day 2, Dada continues the good work - on 166, and is now eyeing his 200. He has just stepped out to hoist Danish over long off for a huge 6.

2 comments:

Harsha Kumar said...

I don't get cricket much. It's kinda slow for me. Test match.. well, slower than ever. But I have started developing some interest recently and, it makes me miss sports. Any physical activity really. Man..I've become lazy. Don't you feel like playing? Badminton. Tennis. Or maybe just join the gym.

Siddhesh said...

Cricket is an exciting game of skill with the bat and bowl, but it's really a mind game. A true cricket fan will know what I mean :)

But trust me, if you want to enjoy cricket, you need to learn the mind games that come into play - and then drives those actions you see on the field.

And about missing sports, of course I do - I miss my cricket, I used to be very good at it. I miss my badminton and my swimming. And I miss my work outs. But I guess I have learnt to live with it, given my priorities in life right now!