Sunday, December 23, 2007

Not Trying is Worse Than Failure!

Since last night, I am haunted by the sight of a cat, struck by a passing car, lying in the middle of the road begging for help.. looking up at me, into my eyes, pleading to be rescued...

And instead of stopping right away, I swerve to miss it, then go ahead, hesitating... thinking, should I stop and move it to the side? But it was bleeding, maybe broken bones..

And by the time I stop, I have already moved ahead a couple of hundred meters.. and I keep moving...

I can still feel her eyes looking at me, begging for help...

I love cats, and I would love to help.. but I didn't.. I thought, and I debated.. and I lost the chance... and the cat lost it's life...

I know I am responsible.. my friend tried to convince me it wasn't my fault.. maybe it lived after all, maybe it was already dead...

But I know I killed it.. by not trying...

4 comments:

Harsha Kumar said...

You aren't responsible for her death. The car that hit her is. If you ask me however, I find it strange that You spent so much time thinking and debating about what you should do. I always thought you were someone who would not think twice and just do the right thing. But well, the bottom line is, atleast next time, you will know what to do :)

Anonymous said...

Well...call me a cynical if you want to but I am not as hopeful as Harsha is. You very much knew what needed to be done at that time and CHOOSE not to do it(whatever your reasons be:laziness, indifference or worry of dirting your hands). But I do hope that you have enough courage to not only think right, but do right, especially when lifes are at stake....even if its of an animal.

Siddhesh said...

Hemant, frankly, I don't need the courage or the hope. I was pointing out the moon, and you caught my finger.

I am not sure you got what I meant, but that's OK.. I won't give you a boring lecture :)

Anonymous said...

:) You took it personally. Well you did miss my point too. There are hardly any people around us, like you, who can think right, leave alone do things right. And only your kind of people can bring a positive change to our society. If people like you, who are so important to us, decides not to do something positive, there is no hope for rest of the lot. And that leaves me disappointed. Also what is particularly disturbing is that, you knew it was now or never, for that animal and still……. Probably that’s where the sense of cynicism sets in.