Saturday, November 10, 2007

Digging into My Childhood

Have you ever digged into that long forgotten drawer in the attic and found something that meant the world to you years back? Those old photographs, those diaries, those scraps of paper that are worthless to everyone else in the world, but you?

I did a bit of that yesterday - and uncovered some really precious gems!

Like that birthday card I received on my first birthday! Like my coin collection - including some really precious coins from the 19th century that we found while digging the lawn in front of our house, as well as "samples" of coins worth 1 paise, 2 paise, 10 paise and so on from not so long ago! Like the accounts book I maintained as class monitor, noting carefully the 5 paise and 10 paise "fines" we collected for bad behaviour. Like the newspapers from the day Indira Gandhi was killed, or when the Mandovi Bridge collapsed (by the way, I narrowly escaped that collapse - didn't go to school that day because I had got a big broken bottle in my foot the previous day, and my "usual" bus would have been a victim of the crash if it had been just a few seconds early on that stretch of the bridge). Autographed photos of Kapil Dev, Amitabh and Remo, received by mail as response to my letters, autographs of Sudesh Bhosale, Shekhar Suman and Remo taken during meetings with them...

And I found some of my childhood photo albums. Yellowed and faded with age, but still, such an awesome memory bank! I am gonna digitize all those photos put them online soon... so don't go away, I'll take a short break and be right back with lots of exciting stuff! :)

No comments: