Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Saga of the Credit Card

Well, we have all heard those warnings about identity theft, electronic fraud, and people using your bank account information to rob you.

Well, it (almost?) happened to me today!

At 743 pm, I got an SMS from ICICI Bank (that's one good thing they do - they inform you whenever you make any significant purchase on the card) saying that I had made a purchase of 53,360 on my credit card at MakeMyTrip.com. I immediately called the bank helpline, and the person said that I should wait a couple of days for the purchase to be billed to me before raising a dispute request. Apparently, he could see the charge, but it had not been "billed" to me yet, and hence he could not raise the request. I got pissed, and asked them to cancel my card immediately.

Next, I called MakeMyTrip.com. They were a lot more concerned, and found that apparently someone by the name Rahul Singh had booked 4 passengers (Fakruddin, Azharuddin and 2 others) on some Air India flight using a total of 3 different cards to make a total purchase of around 98,000!

So the current state of affairs is that I have got my cards cancelled, I will raise the dispute request tomorrow, and MakeMyTrip.com will apparently initiate some action on their side.

Keep watching this space for updates, and keep your credit cards off the net!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dont worry.....you would be safe. You will not have to pay for these charges. That's an assurance from MMT.