Monday, December 25, 2006

My Favourite Books...

Love Story by Eric Segal - mushy, but very nicely written. My initial appreciation for Segal steadily grew into a love affair with Doctors and The Class. Segal's works remain in my list of favourites for the sheer depth in which he traces ordinary lives.

Rich Dad Poor Dad - the book that really opened my eyes to personal finance, and got me seriously thinking about taking control of my life and doing something about the below limit bank balances! A must read for all ye self-made young men and women and your DINK lives :)

One Minute Manager - definitely the book that inspires me most! The rest of the OMM series is great too, but nothing to beat the one that started it all!

FISH! - Comes a very close second in the list of books that inspire me and affect me most in my day to day job!

Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman - the book that started it all. I was always an avid reader of fiction, but EI got me hooked to the category of books that are sometimes sadly grouped under the self-help category!

Life of Pi by Yann Martel - one of the most interesting pieces of fiction. Has three parts - part one sets the stage, part two gets interesting, but it's the part three - just the last 5% of the book - that really blows you away. Read the book - it's really worth "enduring" it if only for the thrill of the last few pages!

The Complete Works of Robert Ludlum - well, most of them anyway (except the Osterman Weekend, and the Road to Omaha). Most people would find it ridiculous that I have actually gone ahead and bought each and every book he's ever written - but something about his spy tales, many of them set in Europe, really turn me on!

The Animal Farm - not a big favourite, but definitely a book that left me thinking hard!

Paulo Coelho's Veronika Decides to Die - wierdly, one of the characters I identify with the most, and a character that has played a huge role in shaping my life!

2 comments:

Harsha Kumar said...

Some of the books there are stacked up on the "to be read" section of my drawer.. Few others I'd recommend are:

It's not about the Bike - Lance Armstrong - Very fast, pumped up and inspiring!

Winning - Jack Welch - I think I went "I agree" on almost every page!

The World If Flat - Not done with this one yet! But man, gets your brain churning! You start coming up with theories and keep getting amazed by the varous stages that evolved Globalization! Nicely Done!

thepluginguy said...

This post makes me nostalgic, 'The Class' was the first book that I borrowed from Reis magos library.

'Doctors' one the best book that I have read till now. I wish if relationships like Barney Livingston and Laura Castellano could be scripted in real life!

Mari's character in Veronika decides to die.

I would love to read about your book recommendations for the year 2007.