Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My Coffee Break at IBM

Can you believe it? All I wanted was a simple coffee to start my day!

First, I had to walk like half a mile to the other side of the campus to get to the vending machine. Then I realised it didn't accept 5 dollar notes, and so I went to this change vending machine and inserted my poor note. It gulped it in, and then sat smiling, refusing to give me chage. After shaking, threatening, pushing and cajoling it, I gave up and decided to ask for a refund, since they promised to give one. Apparently, I am not the only one who has been violated like this!

So I check out the refund policy and it said.. talk to our canteen staff. So off I go to the canteen, and locate the staff who ever so smilingly tell me to submit a refund envelope. So back I go to the vending machine trying to locate a refund envelope. Search everywhere, including under,
behind and on top of the machine, but I do not find it. Finally, some poor soul takes pity on me and helps me find it.. can you believe where? Under the paper tissues and napkins.

Ok, so where am I? Now I need to fill in the refund envelope, for which I need to know the cabin number, building number, phone extension and the date of my mother in law's first day at school. So back I go down the half mile, feeling like a marathon runner.. and worst, I meet this whole bunch of IBMers (why do I feel like calling them bummers?) who I have to smile at as if I had just won a lottery.

Finally, I get all the information I want, fill up the form, walk all the way back... get the refund (thank god!) and back to the vending machine.

This time I am smart.. and I have change.

Finally, I get my coffee and here I am back at my desk... just about 45 minutes after I took my short coffee break.

No comments: